Primary Program: 3 – 6 Years
Our early childhood classrooms are designed to meet the ever changing needs of the three to six year old child. Beauty and order play important roles in creating the child size atmosphere which is carefully designed to encourage curiosity and a love for learning. Valley Montessori offers each child the opportunity:
- To develop a solid academic foundation and desire for lifelong learning
- To encourage independent decision making and problem solving skills
- To become an integral member of the classroom community
- To develop positive social, emotional and physical growth in a respectful environment
A typical day for a young student includes time when the class gathers together in a circle to sing songs, and learn about something new; perhaps the topic is dinosaurs or how to greet a friend with a handshake. Children in a primary Montessori classroom learn to maneuver about their classroom with confidence, exploring concepts in arithmetic, reading and writing, geography, science and activities of daily life such as preparing their own snack or washing dishes. Children learn skills in grace and courtesy, naturally caring and teaching each other, respecting the classroom activities and learning to clean up after themselves. Each school day includes active outside play time on our safe and child friendly play areas.
Music, Physical Education and Spanish are all part of the Primary program. Please note: due to cohort restrictions during the pandemic, these programs will be offered by the cohort teachers to the best extent possible.
- Jack Quigley our Music teacher incorporates movement, rhythm, songs, instruments and other elements of music.
- Tim Vanier our Physical Education teacher offers opportunities for developing large motor skills including balance, motor planning, bilateral and eye hand coordination. These opportunities are reinforced in the classroom and playground daily.
- Andrea Santin, our Spanish teacher comes into each Primary classroom to give lessons in Spanish. Children at this age are so eager to learn and take everything in like an absorbent sponge.
Half day and full day schedules available. Half day students have the option to move to a full day schedule within the same classroom when they are ready.
Learn more about the kindergarten year in a primary classroom by watching this video. Click below, to start.