- Respect is a core value in Montessori education.
- Mutual respect between teacher and student is fostered in each classroom.
- Students gain respect for all in the classroom community – each other, their teachers, the classroom materials, class pets, and even the plants.
- Respect for all things translates into environmental stewardship and global awareness..
PARTNERS IN EDUCATION
Child / Parent / Teacher
- As a Montessori school, we believe an equal partnership formed by the child, parent and teacher is essential in ensuring the success of educating the whole child.
- Each child is valued as a unique individual.
- Teachers model respect and kindness as they guide you and your children through their educational journey.
- Parents support and guidance are crucial to their child’s success. We support this partnership with parenting classes and transparency in our curriculum.
- The Montessori classroom environment is arranged according to subject area.
- There are a variety of work areas, including comfortable chairs for reading, child-sized tables and chairs, as well as spaces for group and individual work. Under the careful guidance of their teachers, children choose where and with what materials they work.
- At any given time in a school day, the full range of academic subjects are available for study – math, language, science, history, geography – as students desire to satisfy their innate curiosity.
MULTI-AGE CLASSROOM STRUCTURE
- Students are part of a close, caring community.
- The multi-age classroom—typically spanning three years—re-creates a family structure.
- Older students enjoy stature as mentors and role models.
- Younger children feel supported and gain confidence learning from one another, not just the teacher.
- The multi-age classroom supports constant interaction, problem solving, child-to-child teaching and socialization.
- Classroom design, materials, and daily routines support the child’s emerging self-regulation and independence allowing the children to be challenged according to their ability.
FOLLOW THE CHILD / INDIVIDUALIZED
- Montessori education recognizes that children learn in different ways, and accommodates many learning styles.
- Students are able to learn at their own pace, each advancing through the curriculum when ready, guided by the teacher and an individualized learning plan.
- This ability to move around the classroom to different work areas also promotes independent learning.
- Teachers are trained observers of children. As guides, they give lessons and move about the classroom coaching children to challenge themselves while consistently modeling respect for the children, classroom and community.
- Mastery of learning drives the Montessori classroom.
- The student’s efforts and work are respected and the teacher, through extensive observation and record-keeping, plans individual projects to ensure each child learns what is needed in order to progress.
- As they mature, students learn to look critically at their work and become adept at self-correction and self-assessment which are an integral part of the Montessori classroom approach.
PREPARATION FOR LIFE
- Beginning at an early age, Montessori students develop order, coordination, concentration, and independence.
- By creating their own work plans, students learn excellent time management skills.
- Working within parameters set by their teachers, students are active participants in deciding what their focus of learning will be.
- Montessorians understand that internal satisfaction drives the child’s curiosity and interest and results in joyous learning that is sustainable over a lifetime.
- Students are supported in becoming active seekers of knowledge.
- Teachers provide environments where students have the freedom and the tools to pursue answers to their own questions.
Given the freedom and support to question, to probe deeply, and to make connections, Montessori students become confident, enthusiastic, self-directed learners. They are able to think critically, work collaboratively, and act boldly—a skill set for the 21st century.